South Africa has a wide range of resources with a unique advantage in mineral and metal resources, which creates the opportunity for economic development and job creation. South Africa’s Industrial Policy Action Plan (IPAP) has included the Coega SEZ (Coega Special Economic Zone) in the drive to increase manufacturing production and beneficiation in South Africa. South Africa is a world leader in mining and minerals, with the lion’s share of global reserves and production. Our wealth has been built on the country’s vast resources - nearly 90% of the platinum metals on earth, 80% of the manganese, 73% of the chrome, 45% of the vanadium and 41% of the gold. Over a century of expertise in mining has made South Africa the world’s leading producer of a range of minerals and metals. Coega SEZ with its strategic logistics linkages provides an ideal platform to beneficiate these metal resources. A particular focus of the Coega IDZ is to ensure greater local processing of South Africa’s abundant natural resources.
For the beneficiation of the countries minerals Coega Development Corporation has allocated two zones for metal investments. Zone 6 and Zone 5 has been demarcated for metal sector investment and consist of a total of 1809 hectares of land. The intention is to establish large scale, self-sustaining, commercially viable manufacturing and beneficiation activities focusing on, the production of ferrous and non-ferrous metals. Coega SEZ is the major node for scrap export with beneficiating scrap and exporting steel billets. The region is also the major node for manganese export with a major deep-sea port adjacent to our SEZ.
Independent studies have identified the Coega IDZ location for metal sector investments are technically feasible, economically viable and qualitatively reliable for the following production plants:
· Iron and carbon steel smelting and manufacturing
· Stainless Steel manufacturing
· Carbon and Stainless steel rolling-mills
· Ferromanganese Smelt
· Copper smelting and manufacturing
· Zinc smelting
· Direct Reduce Iron and Hot Briquette Iron manufacturing
· Manganese Smelting
· Cement Production
COEGA IDZ OFFERING
The Coega IDZ ideal logistical location with its world-class infrastructure offers a range of benefits for metal industry smelters and manufacturing companies reducing the production input cost imperatives through its availability of raw materials and labour and many more. The Coega offering involves the following:
· Collaborative incentive packages with National, Provincial and Municipal entities
· Facilitation with Government entities eg work permits etc.
· Offering support with Safety, Health, Environment and Quality services eg EIA process
· Technical support with Information Communication and Telecommunication (ICT) services
· Human capital development and labour management services
· Business management services building capacity with supplier and service providers
· Accommodation solutions
· The Port Elizabeth region offer an Ease of doing business and lifestyle with its world class theatres, pristine beaches, public amenities, top achieving schools and unspoiled beaches.
For investors who wish to take advantage of opportunities in the metals sector, please contact Mr Sadick Davids:
Telephone: +27 41 403 0400 / 086 102 6342
Fax: +27 41 403 0401